About The Club: The Bald Head Island Club, a not-for-profit full service country club, is situated on Bald Head Island, located in southernmost North Carolina. It is accessible only by passenger ferry or private boat. Over one-half of the island is deeded as a state wildlife preserve and the balance has been developed into small housing communities which are designed to fit into the surrounding environment. The Bald Head Island Club offers a variety of amenities for members and guests and has over 1,400 members consisting of golf, sport and social classifications.
The Club consists of a main clubhouse with three different dining venues, 4 soft surface tennis courts, 3 croquet greenswards, a swimming complex with casual dining, a play area, a fitness center with strength and cardio training, and an 18—hole championship golf course. Already considered as one of the premier golf courses on the east coast of North Carolina, the golf course was recently renovated and offers one of the most challenging golf experiences in the area, wrapping around freshwater lagoons, through the maritime forest, and across dunes overlooking the Atlantic.
Summary: The Bald Head Island Club is a large, profitable and highly successful club. The Club is a 20 minute ferry ride from Southport NC. The Island is very picturesque and natural. The membership are largely easterners from NC, the Washington DC metro area and the NY metro area, northern NJ, Westchester NY and Fairfield County CT. The island is car free with electric golf carts used as the primary form of transportation. We offer highly a competitive rate of compensation within an area of a comparatively low cost of living.
Responsible for all food and pastry production, including that sold in restaurants, banquet functions and other outlets. Develop menus, food purchase specifications and recipes. Supervises production of staff. Develop and monitor food and labor budgets for the department. Maintain highest professional food quality and sanitation standards. The current Chef was with the Club for two (2) years.
Position Specific: Unique to the Bald Head Island Club are remarkably high volumes of a la carte dining. Particular skills needed include the ability to view a broad perspective and the development of menus suitable for high volume production without the appearance of being basic or simplified.
“Mutual Trust and Respect” It will be important that the new professional align him or herself with, and embrace, the Club’s culture, forging partner relationships with the Clubhouse Manager all built on honesty, respect and dedication. The Executive Chef will always look for improvement while continuing to maintain the high standards of excellence already instilled into the kitchen operation. The ideal candidate will possess a true passion for professional cooking and is self-motivated, passionate and have a proven track record at a first class facility. A Certified Executive Chef (CEC) is preferred.
- The Executive Chef is hands-on and cook’s or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Organized and detail-oriented without an ego driven approach.
- The ability to lead, motivate and mentor aspiring individuals throughout the organization. Have the ability to train staff.
- Recruit’s and develops management staff and line employees in food production. Make’s kitchen staff selection decisions.
- Must be a team player who leads by example.
- Implement’s safety training programs and related aspects of kitchen safety.
- An Executive Chef that displays character, integrity, honesty and trustworthiness.Competent in time management skills and organization.
- Develops recipes, standards and techniques for food preparation and presentation that will assure a consistently high quality product.
Key Expectations and Goals:
- The Chef is able to execute high-quality and consistent member ala carte service on an on-going basis.
- The successful candidate will be committed to professionalism and staff development through hands-on training and coaching.
- Develop policies, procedure and measurement systems to achieve highest level of quality.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness, and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times. This includes daily site visits to all outlets.
- The Executive Chef is expected to walk the dining room, visit tables, write newsletter articles. Note: The Chef does not have any sales or booking functions. EC does attend House or F&B meetings.
- The Executive Chef will attend all Executive Staff meetings and is expected to maintain a professional relationship with all employees
- Must have experience and knowledge of budget analysis methods, general accounting skills and the ability to work in all areas of kitchen and dining areas relative to point-of-sale applications.
- Develops detailed labor and food C.O.S. assumptions, small tools and supplies assumptions, culinary capital project proposals and justifications with three supportive estimates.
The heart of the Bald Head Island Club is undoubtedly the golf course. The course was designed by George Cobb and opened for play in 1974. This beautiful private golf course in North Carolina was recently restored by Tim Cate, who breathed new life into the tired layout, making it much more natural looking and challenging.
- Annual food sales at $1.7M; total F&B Sales $2.4M.
- The Food cost is currently 48% with a goal of 46%. Sales mix of 85% a la carte and 15% banquet.
- There are 20 plus F&B employees supported by a $652,000 labor budget. The Club maintains two (2) kitchens in good repair.
- The Executive Chef is supported by two (2) Sous Chef’s. The EC does the purchasing.
- The Clubhouse’s are 40,000 sq. ft. and supported by 1,200 members whose average age is 62.
- The Club operates twelve (12) months annually. The majority of members use the club during the months of April – September.
- The Executive Chef reports to the Clubhouse Manager and works directly with the Director of Food and Beverage, Pelicatessen Manager, Director of Golf, Controller.
The Club offers a number of distinct venues for casual and more up-scale dining experiences. The Executive Chef will be responsible for the successful planning and execution of all food offerings throughout the Club. The various food and beverage venues include but are not limited to the following:
- Grille Room seats approximately 60 and offers fine a la carte dining. The existing menu offers a local and sustainable menu.
- The Palms is a more casual dining featuring less formal food offerings. Members enjoy pub-style food in a less formal setting.
- The Ocean Room is used primarily for large banquet functions and also accommodates peak seasonal a la carte dining.
- The Pelicatessen, located next to the pool and tennis complex, offers quick informal food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, to eat in or take out, including breakfast sandwiches and pastries, luncheon sandwiches, salads, pizza and light fare.
- Special events are very important to the Club. It is a favorite venue of brides for ceremonies and receptions and will accommodate events up to 300 people.
The Club offers a competitive compensation plan including a competitive base salary based on experience and skill, ACF dues and Convention, dining allowance, health & life insurance, 401k and other standard perks. Interested individuals should send resumes, a well-conceived cover letter, and supporting information. (A Personal Portfolio is encouraged) in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your information.