History: Founded as North Hills Country Club in the early 1920’s by men of keen vision and foresight, we were the first of our kind in the area with plans for not just the standard 18-holes, but for forty-five greens upon which the members could play. Moreover, it would not be from the list of local designers that the course architect would be found, but far to the east Boston to be exact) that a quiet man of uncanny talent was selected – Mr. Wayne Stiles.
It is perhaps from a combination of these acts that the true grandeur of Norwood can be found. Nothing done over these grounds in the past eight decades could be said to be run-of-the-mill. Our story is one of outstanding golfers searching for a course where their skills could be honed and their competitive spirit refined. It is one of leadership through the years, and we have been fortunate to have such individuals when needed, that saw the need for sound fiscal management as the key to long-term success. It was from this vision they positioned the club like no other, enabling us to survive the wars, depression, economic downturns and changing business conditions and demographics; while providing the finest facilities to the largest membership in town.
Today, Norwood continues to provide its members with an experience like no other. Our Members enjoy a great social experience in all areas, from holiday events to daily dining to the swimming pool, fitness center and tennis courts, we have it all covered.
Summary: The role of the Executive Chef of Norwood Hills Country Club is to be completely responsible for the opening, closing and daily execution of operational standards and culinary programs for all food & beverage venues. Working in partnership with the General Manager together with the assistance of the Clubhouse Manager, the Executive Chef will execute the operational standards of NHCC within the financial guidelines that are established.
Position Specific: The Club is looking for transformational leadership leading to innovative day-to-day operations from very casual to fine dining. A leader/teacher. A positive arbiter of change with a mature grasp of interdepartmental interaction. A dynamic, infectious foodie!
The GM/COO is a “kitchen guy” looking for a partner to join him and a very strong Clubhouse Manager on a transformative journey. The Executive Chef will always look for improvement while continuing to maintain the high standards of excellence already instilled into the kitchen operation. The ideal candidate will possess a true passion for professional cooking and is career driven, self-motivated and have a proven track record at a first class facility (Club, Resort, or Hotel.) With this appointment the club wishes to have greater Menu Diversity, better Cost Control; visible Leadership with Staff Training, a consistent Ala Carte operation and improved Communications.
- The Executive Chef is hands-on and cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Organized and detail-oriented without an ego driven approach.
- The ability to lead, motivate and mentor aspiring individuals throughout the organization.
- Must be a team player who leads by example.
- Is a good communicator. Participates with newsletter article and appears at custom dinners to provide food commentary. Is visible to the membership.
- Consults with CM & Catering Director about food production aspects of special events being planned.
- Competent in organization and time management skills.
- Develops recipes, standards and techniques for food preparation and presentation that will assure a consistently high quality product.
Key Expectations and Goals:
- The Club needs new energy in their new Executive Chef. Someone up for a challenge with ideas, but willing to collaborate with a diverse team of managers and sous chefs.
- The successful candidate will be a motivator committed to professionalism and staff development through hands-on training and coaching.
- Accountable for the culinary department and joint accountability for entire F&B department.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness, and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times. This includes daily site visits to all outlets.
- The Executive Chef interacts enthusiastically with, and is visible to, the membership and be available to the membership for consultation on menus for private events.
- The Executive Chef will attend all Executive Staff meetings and is expected to maintain a professional relationship with all employees
- Must have experience and knowledge of budget analysis methods, general accounting skills and the ability to work in all areas of kitchen and dining areas relative to point-of-sale applications.
- Annual food sales at $1.7M; total F&B Sales $2.8M.
- The Food cost is 42% with a sales mix of 45% a la carte and 55% banquet.
- There are 30 total kitchen employees supported by a $675,000 labor budget. The Club maintains one (1) kitchen.
- The Executive Chef is supported by three (3) Sous Chef’s and a Purchasing Manager.
- The Clubhouse’s are 65,000 sq. ft. and supported by 785 members whose average age is 55.
- The Club operates twelve (12) months annually with usage throughout the year. Closed two weeks in January.
- The Executive Chef reports to the Clubhouse Manager w/ strong input, interaction with GM/COO and works directly with the Director of Member Dining, Director of Catering, Golf Pro, Superintendent and Controller
- The previous chef was with the Club for seventeen (17) years.
Dining Facilities: (Four Ala Carte Outlets)
- Fairway Dining Room – Steak & Seafood focus with a 165 seat capacity. Serves lunch and dinner six days a week.
- Fairway Bar– A a Pub style room with 40 seat capacity. Offers casual lunches and dinners as well as breakfast on weekends.
- Bistro– Family casual dining serving lunch and dinner six days per week as well as breakfast on weekends. 52 seat capacity.
- Courtyard – Family casual dining serving lunch and dinner six days per week as well as breakfast on weekends. 55 seat capacity.
- Veranda – Another Steak & Seafood focus restaurant with a 75 seat capacity. Lunch and dinner and breakfast on weekends.
- West Patio – Food stations; 300 capacity.
Private Parties – The Club has five (5) private party rooms with seating capacity from 10 to 500 guests.
The Club offers a competitive compensation plan including a competitive base salary based on experience and skill, ACF dues and Convention, dining allowance, health & life insurance, 401k and other standard perks. Interested individuals should send resumes, a well-conceived cover letter, and supporting information. (A Personal Portfolio is encouraged) in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your information.