Club History: The Beach Club is a private, member owned, equity club located in Santa Monica, CA. The Club lies on the sands just north of the Santa Monica Pier, directly off of the famed PCH (Pacific Coast Highway). The BC is known for its outstanding staff and member culture, as well as its staff tenure and multiple generations of member families. The Club is a “home on the beach” to all who visit it, an extension of their living room and an escape from the hustle and bustle of life in LA. The pillars the Club were founded on in 1923 remain the heart of the Club today: Family, Athletics, Social and Community.
The BC team pushes typical Club boundaries to create fun, excitement and memories for its members and their guests. Every generation of member, from toddler to senior, is valued and equally important, and club programming reflects that belief. Personalized service and first-class culinary are hallmarks of the Club, and are expected by the Club membership. The community spirit is shared by all staff and members, and is a bond closer than you will see in a club anywhere. The Club is relaxed, yet also conservative and elegant.
The “Fundamental Five” Duties of the position:
- Leads, manages, motivates, mentors and directs kitchen staff in a hands-on capacity to improve the member experience while making a positive impact on the lives of our team members
- Promotes a culture of “excellence everywhere,” ensuring that all food is consistently outstanding
- Responsible for enforcing the highest standards of sanitation and safety, and ensuring that all BOH staff approach the standards with the same level of care
- Responsible for controlling food and labor costs to meet the financial expectations of the Club
- Educates the FOH team on menus and products, and works jointly with the FOH to refine systems, develop new standards where needed and further F&B as a key driver of Club activity
Position Specific: The Executive Chef is a key member of the BC Leadership Team responsible for all culinary operations, to include execution, sanitation and administration/financial. The successful candidate is a working Chef who will lead a tenured team towards consistent, high-quality execution while simultaneously implementing new ideas and controlling costs. It is anticipated the Chef will immerse him or herself in all that is BC culinary, and leave his or her fingerprint on a la carte dining, member events and private events.
The ideal candidate is a driven professional who has experience leading a team in a high-volume, multi-faceted and discerning environment. The ideal candidate has previous Executive Chef experience, or is a highly regarded Executive Sous Chef looking for his or her first Executive Chef position.
- Actively engaging the community to learn Members names, families and dining preferences/ allergies
- Evaluating and working with the culinary staff to revise standards of operation, execution and delivery of the culinary operation as necessary
- Working closely with Clubhouse Manager, Catering Director and FOH Managers to ensure the best member and guest experience possible
- Building positive rapport with team members while showing oneself as a leader and mentor
- Getting up to speed on the Club’s pending BOH rebuild and renovation, and actively participating in planning as it relates to F&B services during the project
- Focusing on fiscal responsibility; ensuring that food costs and labor costs are met without sacrificing the member experience
- Building a positive work-life balance while ensuring all duties are accomplished and expectations are met or exceeded
- Practice and preach a “Member First” philosophy
- Leads the BOH team to take a meticulous approach to food handling, organization, sanitation and execution.
- Looks for continuous ways to improve the culinary operation, both quality and consistency, accepting feedback and input from both staff and members
- Create standards for kitchen policies and procedures, communicate the policies and ensure that the policies are adhered to.
- Responsible for ensuring that appropriate recruitment, hiring, training and supervision takes place for all team members who work in the culinary department, while promoting a positive team environment.
- A basic understanding of wine, beer and spirits to pair dishes and flavors.
- Routinely review processes, sourcing and training to find efficiencies, savings and member enhancements
- Create an innovative, relevant, consistently interesting a la carte menu that changes at least seasonally while maintaining those “must keep” member favorites. Create new “signature items” that become favorites.
- Continue to raise the bar with events by infusing creativity and variety into club standards
- Communicate effectively, both verbal and written, with members, staff and vendors.
- Work in close cooperation with all department heads as necessary to create the best member experience possible.
- Leading, managing and maintaining financial controls of the Kitchen.
- Create budgets, forecasts and P&L’s as necessary. Analyze and review financials and data as necessary.
- Monitor labor costs and operating expenses. Develop and maintain proper inventory and controls for all food items.
- Routinely review processes, sourcing and training to find efficiencies, savings and member enhancements.
- Shows the same passion for preparing a cold lunch sandwich as he or she would for a gourmet Wine Dinner.
- Total F&B Sales $2.5 MM with sales mix of 50% a la carte and 50% blended between club produced events and private parties.
- Annual budgeted food cost is at 41%.
- There are 20 kitchen employees supported by a generous labor budget.
- The Club maintains one (1) main Kitchen with NEW KITCHEN COMING 2020 (assessment already collected from members; awaiting final permits) New Chef to advise and oversee temporary cater-in during shutdown and reopen new kitchen in 18-20 months.
- The EC is supported by one (1) Sous Chef.
- 42.000 Sq Ft. Clubhouse set on (2) two acres in the heart of downtown Los Angeles.
- The Club operates twelve (12) months per year and operates 6 days per week.
- The Executive Chef reports to the General Manager and works closely with the BC Management Team
BC Bistro – Serving lunch Wednesday, Friday’s and Saturday. Sunday Brunch and dinner service Wednesday through Sunday. Casual.
The Grill – Serving lunch Monday through Sunday. Casual
Private Events – The Club can accommodate small to medium size events. A 150/200 is considered a good size for the Club.
Summary: Management anticipates the Chef will immerse him or herself in all that is BC culinary; make a positive statement on a la carte dining, member and private events. This is a great opportunity for a Chef to make his or her mark on the profession.
The Club offers a competitive compensation package including a base salary based upon experience and 5% annual stay bonus and 10% performance bonus potentials. Other benefits include education – conference trip with spouse – rich 401k – good health package – club facility wellness use. Relocation allowance can be negotiated. Interested individuals should send your portfolio, a well-conceived cover letter, and supporting information in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your information:
Work with DMA, a team of proven culinary professionals to help advance your career.