Another quality Culinary opportunity with the remarkable Rolling Rock Club, presented by DZA
Founded in 1917, this premier private club is located in historic Ligonier, Pennsylvania approximately 50 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. Rolling Rock Club was originally 12,000 acres (4,900 ha) of land owned by Judge Thomas Mellon, who left it to his son Richard Beatty Mellon, brother of Andrew Mellon and onetime president of Mellon Bank. Richard Beatty Mellon turned Rolling Rock into a rural retreat for his friends and family to hunt, fish, and ride. From this it steadily developed into an establishment that, in addition to the usual country club necessities – swimming pool and golf course – also boasted stocked trout streams, duck ponds, game birds and shooting ranges.
Position Summary: The Senior Sous Chef is a hands-on manager, who along with the Club Chef and Chef De Cuisine, is responsible for the overall smooth operation of the Club’s kitchen operations and facilities. He/she will assume the duties of the Club Chef or Chef de Cuisine (CDC) in their absences. The Senior Sous Chef will be visible and promote an environment collaboration and teamwork for all kitchen and club employees. He/she will endeavor to be visible to the membership and ensure that the kitchen is a welcoming place for Club members and guests.
Reporting to the Club Chef and CDC, Senior Sous Chef is responsible for all food with a main focus on banquet services. While his/her first priority is to produce quality, food geared to the tastes and preferences of the membership, he/she will exercise diligence in cost control and adherence to budget. The Senior Sous Chef will maintain the highest standards for sanitation and cleanliness.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The position requires a strong organized leader who is committed to excellence in all matters. The right individual will be self-motivated, able to build a cohesive team, possess a modern approach to team building and menu planning and continually offer unique and distinctive dining experiences.
Finally, the successful candidate must be a good fit with Rolling Rock Club’s culture. He/she must demonstrate values, conduct and integrity consistent with Platinum, Michelin acclaimed standards.
Primary Functions and Duties:
- Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing private dining and banquet services.
- In conjunction with Club Chef, CDC, COO & Club Manager, plans menus for all food service to the club banquet services.
- Regularly hosts taste panels for members of the management team in order to assess feasibility of proposed menu items and new products.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of all food preparation.
- Is an approachable leader – building an effective and efficient culinary team that bond together.
- Helps to facilitate a team environment that not only provides for the growth of employees, but also assures that Rolling Rock Club is viewed as a premier place to work.
- Plans and manages a top-quality employee meal program. Ensures sanitation, cleanliness and presentably of staff cafeteria.
- Annual food sales at $2.5M; total F&B Sales $3.8M
- The Food cost is 51% with a goal to achieve 47%
- The Executive Chef is supported by two (2) Sous Chefs, a Pastry Chef and Purchasing Manager.
- There are 28/32 total kitchen employees supported by a $1.1M Labor Budget.
- The Club is supported by 1,500 members whose average age is 55.
- There are (4) well-maintained kitchens including a Pool side Snack Bar, Shooting Lodge Staging Kitchen along with the A la Carte and Banquet kitchens in the Main Clubhouse.
- The Club operates 12 months per year with the majority of business from May-October, December. The Club has an annual shutdown for one (1) month in March.
The Club offers a competitive base salary commensurate with experience and skill, ACF dues, health & life insurance, and 401k. Interested individuals should send resume, a well-conceived cover letter and supporting information. Please submit your Portfolio in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your information:
Work with Denise Zanchelli and Team DZA, a team of proven culinary professionals to help advance your career.
Contact Daniel Hugelier Bill Schulz or Denise Zanchelli directly at email@example.com