Visionary executives of Westinghouse Communities, Inc. (WCI) laid plans and began building their versions of Shangri-La in what were once overgrown mangroves and scrubby tomato fields. The Bay Colony clubhouse was completed in 1997 and is regarded as one of the top three clubs in Southwest Florida.
One of the very few remaining clubs that does not require tee times, the pristine 18-hole golf course was designed by Robert van Hagge and has been host to the Senior PGA Tour. BCGC members are robust in their philanthropic endeavors both nationally and locally.
- BCGC is a very high-end, exclusive boutique club built on relationships that needs an ‘engaged and highly personable’ working chef.
- BCGC treats all employees like family . . . the new Chef is expected to do the same.
- The Club has Two (2) amenities that its Brand depends on: Golf and F&B. The New Chef should focus on building the Food Brand with the goal to make BCGC “the members’ first choice for dining out”
- A $6MM Clubhouse renovation is due to be completed by 12/1/2019 and includes transforming the former Men’s Grill into an indoor/outdoor bar and casual dining venue.
Core Requirements and Expectations:
The new Chef must focus on the following priorities when he/she is on-board.
- Satisfy member needs through menu development.
- Recruitment, train and ensure right staff is in place.
- Learn products/vendors and implement cost control system(s).
- Employee engagement; staff Development and training. Position Specific: Along with providing outstanding culinary experiences, the Club is seeking an Executive Chef who will serve as a role model of compassionate leadership and exhibit an overall sense of caring about people. He/she should set the standard for employees to maintain a high-quality product and deliver consistent member services.
The new Chef must be an effective and calm communicator who is mature and poised in dealing with conflict and feedback, has a reputation for team-building and exceptional culinary skills whether it’s preparing comfort food or Michelin Star cuisine. This individual should be kind and friendly whether he/she is waving hello to the housekeeper 10 feet away or engaging a member.
Overall, the club is looking for a passionate and compassionate leader committed to enhancing BCGC’s culinary operation to be among the finest in SW Florida. A la carte quality & consistency are vital as well as producing high-quality banquets/events.
- This is an Executive Working Chef position as the Chef is hands-on and cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- The ability to recruit staff then lead, motivate, train and mentor them.
- Is an excellent communicator and regularly interacts with membership at meals. (Visibility and enthusiasm are vital to the success of this role).
- A positive “can-do” type of individual supported by a calm and professional demeanor.
- Has extensive culinary knowledge.
Key Expectations and Goals:
- The role of the Executive Chef is to set the standard for culinary employees to maintain high quality and consistent member services. Has knowledge of industry “best practices”
- The successful candidate will be a motivator committed to professionalism and staff development through hands-on training, coaching and counseling.
- Develops recipes, standards and techniques for food preparation and presentation that will assure a consistently high-quality product.
- Extremely competent in organization and time management skills.
- BCGC is searching for a Chef who is engaging, enthusiastic and endearing. A Chef who communicates face-to-face with the membership on the floor during meals and can accept member feedback.
- The Executive Chef will participate in House and Social Committee meetings as they pertain to menus/food production.
- Chef partners with the F&B Director and CFO to produce a budget. Directly responsible for the kitchen labor budget and annual capital budget equipment requests.
- Ensures that the highest standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all food service areas at all times.
- Annual food sales at $1MM; total F&B sales $1.538MM
- The food cost is 40% with a sales mix of 50% à la carte, 50% private events.
- During the most recent fiscal year, F&B was subsidized by ($685,000).
- There are 13 culinary employees supported by a $570,000 labor budget.
- The Club maintains two kitchens with a capital improvement plan in place.
- The Executive Chef is supported by an Executive Sous Chef and one additional Sous Chef. The Chef is responsible for all food related purchasing.
- The Clubhouse is 40,000 sq. ft. with 350 members whose average age is 67.
- The Club is open 11 months per/year with periodic Summer closures.
- The Executive Chef reports to the General Manager and works with the F&B Manager, Dining Room Manager/ Sommelier, Executive Assistant, HR Director and CFO.
The Dining Room – seating for up to 125 guests, with a beautiful expansive floor to ceiling windows through Nano doors that pocket to allow the outside in. Dinner only three to four days per week.
Upper Grille Room – “Golf casual” yet upscale. seating for 100 serving lunch and dinner six days per week.
Lower Grille Room – Casual with seating for 75 serving lunch and dinner three to four days per week.
The Terrace – Breathtaking views of fountains, water features and the rolling 18th fairway and green.
Private Dining – Two Private Rooms with seating capacity from 10 to 14 guests. BCGC can accommodate up to 250 guests seated.
The Club offers a very attractive compensation plan including a competitive base salary, based on experience and skill, plus a performance bonus based upon achieving pre-discussed goals. Industry dues and Convention, health & life insurance, 401(k) with matching contribution and other standard perks. Relocation allowance available. A (CEC) is preferred. Interested individuals should send a personal-portfolio, a well-conceived cover letter and supporting information, which will be held in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your professional information:
Interested? Work with DMA, a team of proven culinary professionals to help advance your career.
Click Here to upload your professional information: