Another Top Club Chef Opportunity conducted by DZA, a strategic alliance of DMA
The Bedford Golf and Tennis Club is a member-owned private country club in the historic town of Bedford, NY. Originally founded in 1891, today the Club sits on a scenic 150 acres and includes an outstanding 18-hole Golf Course designed by Devereux Emmet, nine Har-Tru Tennis Courts, three Paddle Ball Courts, and an aquatics complex.
BGTC is currently undergoing a $16M capital improvement program which includes a brand new 20,000 square foot Clubhouse. The new building will vastly improve the member experience and is scheduled to open around Memorial Day 2023. The new Clubhouse will include a casual Grill Room, a Dining Room and several outdoor dining opportunities. A brand-new state-of-the-art kitchen has been designed and will include two cook lines as well as a cold line and separate bake station. No expense has been spared in the design, and this will offer the new chef a spectacular opportunity to redefine the dining experience.
The Club seeks a talented Executive Chef who will report to the Director of Operations and will work alongside the Clubhouse Manager. A successful candidate will become the Club’s culinary leader, and will engage with the Club’s membership, become familiar with their palates, and develop a relationship with them. The Executive Chef will understand that the consistency of offerings, tastes, flavors, presentation, and timeliness of delivery are critical components of success.
Construction in Progress
The Bedford Golf & Tennis Club seeks a talented Executive Chef who will report to the Director of Operations and will work alongside the Clubhouse Manager. A successful candidate will become the Club’s culinary leader, and will engage with the Club’s membership, become familiar with their palates, and develop a relationship with them. The consistency of offerings, tastes, flavors, presentation, and timeliness of delivery are critical components of success.
The Executive Chef will manage all aspects of the dining programs with the goal of making the Club a best-in-class option when it comes to a member’s choice of places to dine.
- This is a hands-on working position, managing daily production and consistency, presentation, and quality. He/she will be professional, personable with a positive attitude, and be a team-orientated leader.
- An organized and detail-oriented individual with a passion for the profession; has solid culinary skills with a good foundation.
- Help to prepare the annual operating budget, with recommendations for needed capital expenditures.
- Competent in organizational and time management skills and the ability to demonstrate good judgment, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- The Executive Chef evaluates job staff performance; coaches and mentors staff, and counsels them to ensure they are on track. Rewards and disciplines staff in a fair and appropriate manner.
- The Executive Chef creates and implements menus (in concert with the House Committee) and standards of service and all food production, as well as develops and monitors food and labor budgets for the department.
- The Executive Chef is expected to be visible and personable with members and their guests. Building member relationships is an important goal and he/she will spend as much time as possible getting to know the membership.
- Ensure that the highest standards of sanitation, cleanliness, and safety are always maintained throughout all food service areas.
Building the Team/Training – Hire, train, motivate and develop a high performing team for the main kitchen and for the snack bar operation. Serve as coach and mentor and lead by example in all ways.
Develop New Menus – The Club is looking to elevate its food operation and is seeking a visionary leader with the necessary personal and professional skill set. The new Executive Chef is expected to evaluate and improve the menu variety for each outlet. The new Grill Room will be very important to provide everyday great choices. There is also a demand for exceptional fine dining experiences.
Food and Beverage Operations
The Club historically operated ten months annually and closed the months of January and February. Busy months are May, June, July, September. (This is likely to change after the new Clubhouse reopens) The Club anticipates the annual opening for the season to be in early to the middle of February.
- Lunch served 11 am-3 pm Wednesday-Saturday (open for lunch on Tuesday beginning April 15 and ending at the end of October)
- Brunch served 10 am-3 pm on Sunday
- February through Memorial Day – Dinner served 4 nights per week (Thursday-Sunday) (TBD on which outlets are open)
- Memorial Day-Labor Day – Dinner served 5 nights per week (Wednesday – Sunday)
- Labor Day-New Year – Dinner served 4 nights per week (TBD on which outlets are open)
- The Pool snack bar will be open 7 days a week from Memorial Day through Labor Day
Annual food sales $800,000; Total F&B Sales $1.2MM Note: This is low and expected to grow significantly with the new facility.
Part of the motivation for the complete reconstruction of the Clubhouse was to facilitate increased desired usage: by the existing membership. BGTC was previously open three nights per week for dinner service and now, with the new construction, it is expected to be open five nights per week. Prior to the renovation project, Food and Beverage operations were from March-December. The Club plans to operate dining services 11 months per year.
- The Club currently operates at a 42% food cost. Sales are a mix of 60% a la carte and 40% banquet.
- There are three culinary employees and two stewards supported by a $475,000 labor budget. The Club has one Sous Chef, and the Executive Chef does the purchasing.
- Two kitchens; Clubhouse kitchen is currently under construction – Snack bar kitchen will have repairs completed this winter.
- There is one 20,000 sq. ft. Clubhouse currently under construction. The Club has 400 members whose average age is 55.
A compensation package will include base salary and discretionary year-end bonus. Benefits include medical and life insurance; 401K program with employer matching and an education and conference allowance per Club policy. Interested individuals should send resumes, a well-conceived cover letter, and supporting information (a digital Portfolio is encouraged). Click Here to upload your information:
Work with Denise Zanchelli and Team DZA, a team of proven culinary professionals to help advance your career.