Charlotte City Club is on a Renaissance, rejuvenating its facilities with a forward plan along with its culinary standards. The club requires a business minded professional with for-profit experiences, understanding the importance of realizing budgeted objectives in this city club model while keeping programing interesting with broad based appeal to its growing membership.
Recognized as a Platinum Club of America the Club was founded in 1947 and is located in the heart of downtown. It serves 950 members as a private dining, meeting and social club. Located on the 31st and 32nd floors of the 121 West Trade building, members and guests enjoy beautiful panoramic views of Charlotte and the surrounding area. The Club quarters include a Main Dining Room, Grill Room, Hornets’ Nest, Ballroom and eight other private rooms. The Club serves breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday and dinner is offered Wednesday through Saturday. The Club is also open on select Sundays such as Mother’s Day, Easter and when the Panthers have a home game.
It’s founder Herbert H. Baxter, the Mayor of Charlotte envisioned a “quiet place with attractive surroundings where meals would be served and members could get together to discuss business.” Camaraderie and community are central to the membership experience. Today the club is an active hub of the community with all club services based upon food and beverage are bustling.
A Strategic Planning Committee is in place and charged with creating a plan evolving Charlotte City Club into the future . It is fully expected significant renovations will take place which includes the kitchen. This will be an outstanding opportunity for the next Executive Chef to build the new kitchen.
Position Summary: The position requires keen leadership abilities coupled with proven abilities to achieve all financial objectives for the culinary department. The new chef will embrace the Club’s culture, its financial requirements along with culinary team development making the club a top choice when members is considering dining or hosting an event.
The Executive Chef is responsible for all food and pastry production for a la carte restaurants and banquet functions. He/she will develop all menus, recipes, food purchase specifications and handle all ordering functions. Daily, with a hand-on presence, directly supervises production and pastry staff, monitoring food and labor budgets for the department. Maintain highest professional food quality, sanitation standards and an engaged team are also keys.
The Executive Chef will always look for ways to improve operations and efficiencies while maintaining high standards of menu programing and consistency. The ideal candidate will possess a true passion for professional cooking, an ownership mind and proven experiences in for-profit environments at a respected hotel, resort or for profit club business.
Initial Priorities & Goals:
- With this appointment the Club is looking to elevate the member dining experience so the Club is recognized for exceptional food.
- Learn the employees, their strengths and build upon.
- Implement a culture encouraging creativity and passion for the work that they perform.
- Strive daily to enhance the member experience.
- Learn and embrace member dining preferences, evolving menu programing regularly peaking interest in a la carte and event services.
Key Expectations and Goals:
- The Executive Chef serves as business-minded role model, hands-on as necessary mentoring, setting new standard for all employees performance and operational efficiencies.
- Hires, trains, motivates and promotes a high performing team. Leads by example and inspects expectations.
- Masterful leading contemporary offerings and consistency in Ala Carte dining programing, leaving member’s that the club is the “Go To” place for dining. All based on a strong culinary vision and ability to connect with team.
- Writes SOPs, including standardized recipes and techniques for food preparation/presentation which help to assure a consistently high-quality product.
- Works to find the right “food costs middle” balancing operational expense and perceived value to the benefit of membership. Works closely with the controller and catering sales team establishing prices.
- Ensure proper food handling and sanitation standards are met.
- Annual food sales at $1.5M; total F&B Sales $3M.
- Anticipated food cost at 32% with sales mix of 30% a la carte and 70% banquet. Annual F&B profit varies between $600/800,000, assisted by room fees and profitability is essential.
- There are 15 kitchen employees supported by a $650,000 labor budget.
- The Club supports one (1) kitchen. A Capital replacement budget in place and a NEW Kitchen is in the works.
- The Executive Chef is supported by two (2) Sous Chefs and a Pastry Chef.
- The main Clubhouse is 20,000 sq. ft. supported by 950 total members whose average age is 55.
- The Club operates full-time twelve (12) months annually. January and July are slowest months.
- The Executive Chef reports to the General Manager works closely with Clubhouse Manager, Controller, Event Director, Member Relations Manager and Membership Director.
Grille Room – The Grille room has great views of the city and the surrounding landscape. Seats 60 serving breakfast & lunch Monday – Friday and dinner service Wednesday – Saturday.
Hornets’ Nest & Bar – Newest member space and located at the top of the grand staircase. Has spectacular views looking west. 50-seat capacity. serving Lunch Monday – Friday and Dinner Wednesday – Saturday.
Private Member & Club Events – Various sized private rooms are available. Charlotte City Club beautifully accommodates gatherings of every size and purpose, from intimate settings for private events, business interactions or a gala in ballroom for 350 guests.
Summary: The club is in a renaissance requiring an individual will be the example for professionalism, driving food, service and catering offerings to new and exciting levels of interest. The Executive Chef will possess well-round experiences and a matching manner. Active in industry and ideally a CEC is the preferred candidate.
The Club offers an outstanding work-life balance, competitive compensation plan including a competitive base salary based on experience and skill, Performance Bonus, ACF dues and Convention, health & life insurance, and other standard perks. Interested individuals should send resumes, a well-conceived cover letter, and supporting information. (A Personal Portfolio is encouraged) in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your information: Click Here to upload your information.