EXECUTIVE CHEF, The Country Club of Florida by David Meyers Associates
THE CLUB: When conceived as a thought by Chicagoan founder Carleton Blunt, The Country Club of Florida was to be a place of gracious living, fine people and where there would be plenty of room for golf and contentment. Since inception in 1956, this club has become the embodiment of not only its founders perspective, but an example of what a fine club truly is. The Club’s prime location in coastal Palm Beach County has made it a very attractive draw to members from across the country seeking a winter locale for golf, family and social enjoyment. The history of the club is representative of the membership. Titans of industry and members from fine, exclusive clubs across the country call The Country Club of Florida their second home.
Their new, beautiful and stately clubhouse, designed by Peacock and Lewis, opened in 2003. It is the combination of the founder’s vision, the club’s elite membership, history and dedication to a fine golf experience that has guided The Country Club of Florida to sustained success, its reputation and generations of devoted members.
There are many activities for members to enjoy at The Country Club of Florida. A Championship Golf Course that hosted the 95th Western Junior Amateur Championship. A well equipped state-of-the-art Fitness Center.
Dining is of utmost importance as it’s the basis of the member community. The Chef is a key component of the Club’s overall prosperity.
The Position: Management will work with the new Chef to develop a “first-class” food operation with consistency being an area of improvement. The Executive Chef will provide the Members and their guests an exceptional experience by delivering a high-quality product on a consistent basis. The members enjoy a menu composed of traditional favorite’s coupled with a variety of daily trendy creations.
The Chef must works well with both the front and back of the house staff; enjoys being out front promoting and communicating culinary insights with the membership He/she is energized and not afraid to work; has a good understanding of administration including payroll, food cost and human resource issues.
- This individual will have great cooking skills and be hands-on in production, coupled with an uplifting personality and willingness to work with and mentor staff to help them improve in their profession. (Staffing is seasonally influenced)
- Someone who understands the private club sector and is driven by pride, member satisfaction and teamwork.
- Ability to handle pressure, creativity to offer a diversity of items and an approach that facilitates communication and a sense of unity.
- Competent in organization and time management skills.
- The Chef conducts Culinary Demonstrations and other events for the members and contributes regularly to the newsletter.
- Sets the example for professionalism when working and communicating with the service and catering staff.
Primary Responsibilities: Responsible for all food and pastry production including that used for restaurants, banquet functions and other outlets. Develops menus, food purchase specifications and recipes. Supervises production and pastry staff. Develops and monitors food and labor budget for the department. Maintains the highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
Key Expectations and Goals:
- The chef is expected to be visible and engaged within the management team. The Chef is expected to be tactfully visuable in member areas before dinners, after dinners, during buffets and involved with the caterer to assist in developing menus for the events/private parties.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness, and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Proposes new ideas to promote and generate Food & Beverage revenue.
- Operates within all mandatory guidelines, policies and standards of operations as they relate to Food & Beverage.
- Participates in on-going facility inspections throughout Club to assure that the cleanliness, safety and other standards are consistently maintained
- Participates in Food and Beverage Committee meetings.
- Annual food sales at $700,000; total F&B Sales $900,000.
- The desired Food cost is 40% with a sales mix of 32% a la carte and 68% Club events and private parties.
- There are 15 total kitchen employees supported by a $350,000 labor budget.
- The (1) Kitchen has 2 Walk-ins , a Walk-in freezer, ample storage, bakery/pastry room, full hot line, separate pantry and space with appropriate equipment to execute banquets.
- The Clubhouse is 50,000 sq. ft. and supported by 325 members.
- The Club operates 7 months with the majority of business occurring between the months of January and April.
- The Executive Chef reports to the General Manager and works with Dining Room Manager, Accounting Office personal.
“The Club is looking for the needed combination of a passionate Restaurant Chef with the ability to Wow a small yet endearing membership by delivering outstanding daily a la carte services, Club events and private member parties. This individual should have previous Executive Chef experience at a high-end Private Clubs and/or Exclusive Resorts. A (CEC) is preferred. The ultimate goal is to hire a professional who gets clubs and wants to be part of the Club’s culture of respect!”