The Automobile Club of Detroit was founded in 1902 by Michigan automotive icons John Dodge, Ransom Olds and Henry Ford. The friends and business competitors first came across the property when they fled the city on weekends destined for an overnight camping spot on Pine Lake. Back then, the drive from Detroit was a half day journey so they camped on the property of George and Agnes Hodges. Later the founders purchased this property for the future clubhouse of Pine Lake. What began as the Automobile Club of Detroit, has transformed through the years into the premier, full service family club the members are proud to call home.
Position Specific: The Club was known for having “the best food” in the area however in recent years other clubs and dining options have caught up. The Club is looking for a talented culinary professional that is equally business savvy and leadership mature, possessing the knowledge and capability to elevate a busy club foodservice operation. Management is focused on regaining the top food spot among competing clubs.
Pine Lake CC is extremely busy in season with multiple dining operations going on at the same time. The selected individual will have a proven track record of executing at a high level and the ability to multi-task and ensure operational success in a team environment. It’s about building the Team!
The position of Executive Chef is extremely important to overall membership happiness. Management is looking for a Chef who is personable, patient and focused with solid leadership abilities coupled with culinary skills.
- The Executive Chef is hands-on; directly supervises and cooks items that require skillful preparation while mentoring Team.
- Sharp culinary acumen. Is “innovative, creative and trendy while fully understanding and respectful of club traditional and culture.”
- Skilled administrator to accurately forecast, purchase, maintain inventories and track costs, with a keen and watchful eye on the budget.
- Will seek out the best products such as higher quality proteins.
- The Executive Chef is a leader, building an effective and efficient kitchen team that works well together.
- The Executive Chef is expected to be present, engaging and genuinely interested in listening to the membership on their likes and dislikes, style of food and cuisine.
- This individual is an excellent trainer and leader.
- Organized and detail-oriented without an inclusive approach.
Key Expectations and Goals:
- The successful candidate will be a committed leader able to develop a strong culinary team and maintain a positive Team Spirit.
- The successful candidate will be a motivator committed to professionalism and staff development through hands-on training, coaching and presence.
- The EC is expected to have a solid understanding of budgets, capable of developing labor projections and payroll expenses required to serve the membership at their desired standrads.
- The Executive Chef interacts enthusiastically with, and is visible to, the membership and available to the membership for consultation on menus for private events.
- Responsible for implementing dynamic and innovative menu development programs balancing current trends and Club classics.
- Ensure successful execution and consistency in ala carte food in all areas.
- A high-energy individual with a strong work ethic. A committed and dedicated culinary professional that recognizes the demands of a seasonal, premiere country club.
- Demonstrates good judgment, problem-solving, and decision-making skills with required urgency and thoughtfulness.
- The Executive Chef participates in various meetings as needed.
- The Executive Chef will provide mentoring leadership and foster a culture of continuing education and development of future, up-and-coming culinarians.
- The Executive Chef evaluates job performance of culinary staff; coaches and counsels to insure staff is on track.
- Ensures that the highest standards of sanitation, cleanliness, and safety are maintained throughout all food service areas.
- The ability to organize and develop systems to ensure a smooth food service operation.
- Annual food sales $2.1M; total F&B Sales $2.82M. (F&B targets a small $50,000 profit)
- The food cost is 42% with a sales mix of 60% ala carte and 40% banquet.
- There are 20/30 culinary employees in season including two (2) Sous Chefs and a Pastry Chef supported by a $750,000 labor budget. The Chef is responsible for all food purchasing.
- The Club maintains three (3) kitchens. Capital dollars are provided annually; flow & functionality is an issue that Management is working on.
- The Club maintains one 60,000 sq.ft. clubhouse facility that caters to 620 whose average age is 65.
- The Club shuts down February with reduced hours January and March.
- The Executive Chef reports directly to the General Manager/COO and works closely with F&B Manager, Banquet Director, Controller, Membership Director and Golf Pro.
Many lakefront dining options are offered to the membership. From the Lake Room that goes out to the Terrace, Deck and expansive Patio area to the Cocktail Lounge and Members Grill. The Clubhouse is situated on dazzling Pine Lake.
The Lake Room – The jewel of the club, at maximum capacity it will seat 280. This room offers a cozy fireplace with double entry to the attached Cocktail Lounge.
Covered Outdoor Lakefront Terrace – Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Seating capacity is 50 people.
Founders Room – Otherwise known as our Board Room with a seating capacity of 20 people.
Fisher Room – Located on the second floor can seat 35 quite comfortably.
Formal Dining Room – The Formal Dining room is located between the Members Grill and Cocktail Lounge and boasts floor to ceiling views of picturesque Pine Lake. Seating capacity of 60 people
In Summary: The successful candidate must demonstrate values, conduct, and integrity consistent with the caring philosophy in place. This individual should value the formation of lasting professional relationships and become an active member of the Management team.
The Club offers an extremely competitive compensation package including a base salary based on experience and skill, performance bonus, ACF dues and convention, dining allowance, automobile allowance, health & life insurance, 401k and other standard perks. Relocation allowance available with appropriate receipts. Interested individuals should send your portfolio, a well-conceived cover letter, and supporting information in strict confidence. Note: The Club prefers a CEC (Certified Executive Chef. Click Here to upload your information:
Work with DMA, a team of proven culinary professionals to help advance your career.