Sherwood Country Club is a private, member-owned golf and country club on Lake Sherwood, California set at the base of the Santa Monica Mountains just south of city of Thousand Oaks. Sherwood is home to a championship 18-hole Jack Nicklaus signature golf course, driving range and Georgian architecture golf clubhouse. Adjacent to the golf club is the tennis clubhouse, swimming pool, gymnasium, fitness facility and spa. There are a total of 12 tennis courts, including 8 hard courts (one with stadium seating), two clay courts and two grass courts. The tennis club also includes an outside sand volleyball court. All of which can be lit for night play.
Sherwood was the host of a multiple off-season events. It hosted the Shark Shootout, a team-play event hosted by Australian great Greg Norman, from the event’s inception in 1989 to 1999. It then hosted the World Challenge, a PGA Tour-recognized golf tournament hosted by Tiger Woods each December, from 2000 to 2013.
Lake Sherwood, originally Potrero Lake, is the oldest man-made lake in California. Built in 1904, spans approximately 165 acres. It’s name was changed to Lake Sherwood when the surrounding areas were used for the filming of “Robin Hood” starring Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., in 1921. Also known as “Sherwood Forest” and “Maid Marian Park” and is one of the most breathtaking areas near LA.
Sherwood’s membership is approximately 375 golf members/owners and is by invitation or member referral. The adjacent tennis club has fourteen courts in hard, clay and grass surfaces, a swimming pool, gymnasium, fitness center, dining room and pub, men’s and ladies’ locker rooms and a full-service spa. The tennis club maintains a membership of approximately 175 members
Position Specific: Management is looking to significantly elevate their current culinary operation. This requires a strong Leader who is knowledgeable, dedicated to his/her craft and is able to build and mentor a staff of ‘eager to learn’ subordinates. The Executive Chef shall honor SCC traditions with an eye towards consistently evolving culinary offerings.
The ideal candidate will possess a true passion for professional cooking and have a proven stable track record of culinary excellence at recognized properties. In addition to being able to cook good food the Executive Chef needs to be able to maintain budget projections and hold staff accountable.
This individual will interact with both membership and staff on a regular basis and become the face of the culinary operation.
- The new EC is expected to evaluate current operations and staffing and provide recommendations for enhanced systems, controls, product and services in all areas.
- Immediately make a lasting connection with membership, management and especially the culinary team as they are looking for a true leader that will thoughtfully make them perform at their best.
- Will work with the Purchasing Manager to evaluate all products and cost to insure the Club is getting best value and quality.
- Oversees the Employee Meal Program to insure a quality program is maintained.
- Understands the private club sector and is driven by pride, member satisfaction and teamwork.
- Sets the example for professionalism when working and communicating with the service and catering staff.
- The EC will develop an annual training plan for the culinary and steward departments to include: safety, food handling food storage and cleanliness as required by the health department.
- Team player and accomplished recruiter who leads by example developing a cohesive team.
- Skilled communicator, professional and personable demeanor and approachable manner are important pre-requisite qualities.
- Walks the dining rooms and communicates with members and guests.
- Develops recipes, standards and techniques for food preparation and presentation, and ensures the staff is trained to ensure a consistently high-quality product.
- The EC will maintain extremely high standards and a presence, working and supporting all areas of operations.
- Ensures that the proper tools are available for all back of the house employees to perform their jobs in an efficient manner.
- Able to work effectively with subordinates, peer employees and all SCC management personnel.
- The ability to demonstrate good judgment, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Annual food sales are $3,032,000; Total F&B Sales $4,264,549: (F&B generated a profit of $200,000 in the most recent FY.
- Annual combined food cost 41% with a sales mix split between a la carte and banquet services.
- There are 25 kitchen employees supported by a $600,000 labor budget.
- The Club maintains three (3) Kitchens – (Main Kitchen, Tennis Dining Kitchen, Grille Kitchen.) The Club has a capital budget with priorities in place.
- The EC is supported by two (2) Sous Chefs (Exec Sous & Tennis Dining Chef) plus a Purchasing Manager.
- There are two (2) Clubhouses totaling 80,000 sq.ft. and supported by 600 members whose average age is 61.
- The Club operates twelve (12) months per year and operates 6 days per week.
- The Executive Chef reports to the Clubhouse Manager and works closely with Assistant Clubhouse Manager and Catering Director, Catering/Banquet Manager
Dining Facilities: Ala Carte Outlets
The Grille – Casual Attire with 124 seats serving Breakfast, Lunch & Tuesday through Sunday
Vista Grille – Casual overlooking the golf course serving Dinner only on Tuesdays. 40 seats.
Oak Room/Robin’s Pub – Casual with 120 seats. Breakfast, Lunch & dinner service Tuesday through Sunday.
Poolside Dining – Casual with 120 seats. Serving Lunch only Tuesday through Sunday.
Banquets & Catering – The Club maintains seven (7) private party rooms that can accommodate 10 to 300 guests. The Club is known for elegant weddings either indoors or outside using the Grand Ballroom, Canopy Terrace or the Croquet Lawn.
The Club offers a competitive compensation package including a base salary based upon experience and skill, performance bonus, ACF dues and convention, dining allowance, health insurance, 401k with match and other standard perks. Relocation allowance can be negotiated. A (CEC) Certified Executive Chef is preferred. Interested individuals should send your portfolio, a well-conceived cover letter, and supporting information in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your information: