The Founders: Windsor was founded in 1989 by Canadian businessman W. Galen Weston and his philanthropist wife, the Hon. Hilary M. Weston of Toronto, Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Weston envisioned a seaside village that combined the charm of yesterday with the comforts of today, while pointing toward the future with its themes of New Urbanism and sustainability.
A business innovator, Mr. Weston, is the Executive Chairman of George Weston Limited, one of North America’s largest food processing and distribution companies, which are operated by Weston Foods and Loblaw Companies Limited. Mr. Weston was the chief architect behind one of the most recognizable brands in Canada – “President’s Choice®.” He is also the Chairman of Selfridges Group which includes Selfridges & Co (U.K.), Holt Renfrew (Canada), Ogilvy’s (Canada), Brown Thomas (Ireland) and de Bijenkorf (Holland).
Complementing Windsor’s architectural style is the community’s scenic setting. Sun-splashed, pristine beaches, serene, shimmering lake waters and the gently rolling, emerald-green fairways of the masterful Robert Trent Jones, Jr.-designed golf course create a fitting palette for Windsor’s architectural beauty. The community’s quaint streets, charming village greens and lush interior courtyards fit perfectly into that aesthetic, linking the community’s structural flow into its natural setting.
Windsor is much more than a business for Mr. and Mrs. Weston; it’s a home, a retreat and a place of comfort. They both are deeply involved in every detail of making sure Windsor is the “village by the sea” they envisioned when they conceived the project more than 25 years ago – even to the point of naming the community after the location of their beloved English home in Windsor Great Park.
The Position: The position requires a personable, well-organized leader who is committed to being the best in their field. The Executive Chef is hands-on and cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation. He/she evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently achieved. Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure and maintain consistency. The Executive Chef also oversees the Employee Meal Program which the club views as a very important to their upbeat employee culture.
The Executive Chef is responsible for the creation of and adherence to operating budgets which includes sales, food labor and overhead costs. He or she is in charge of hiring, training and other personnel related matters of the culinary staff needed to execute the culinary operation successfully on a year-round basis.
- Competent in organizational, time management skills. The ability to demonstrate good judgment, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent written and verbal skills for effective communication.
- Maintains a positive, interactive and instructional rapport with kitchen staff and service staff alike, many H2B Visa workers.
- Chef participates in menu meetings with private party bookings and organized member’s events as required.Executive Chef is responsible for the development of the budget and monitoring revenues and expenses.
- Sets the example for professionalism at all times and works closely with and communicates effectively with service & catering staff.
- A proven recruiter of culinary personnel and equality competent building high performing teams.
- Cooks at an extremely high level; Develops recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation throughout outlets which assures a consistently high quality product.
- Executive Chef is responsible for the development of the budget and monitoring revenues and expenses.
Dining: There are 270 total members. The Main Clubhouse is 19,000 square feet and the Beach Clubhouse is 11,000 square feet. The Club serves in (5) five dining outlets including a casual and formal dining room in main Clubhouse, the Cabana Grill and formal venue in Beach Clubhouse and the Village Store. The Club is busy in-season from November 1st to May 1st and slow during the off-season wihuich is utilized for menu and programing development and recruit, nationally and abroad. During the off-season the Club maintains the Village Store daily which is open daily and (2) two nights for dinner service.
- Total annual food sales at $1.9MM; total F&B Sales $2.5MM.
- The desired Food cost is 46% with a sales mix of 75% a la carte and 25% banquet.
- The Club supports 30 Kitchen staff with a labor budget of $950,000.
- There are (5) kitchens including the Clubhouse, Beach Club, Village store in Market Square, the Cabana Grill and Golf Snack Shop.
- The Executive Chef is supported by an Executive Sous Chef, Chef de Cuisine, line Sous Chef and Pastry Chef. The EC and is team are are assisted by a purchasing cleck while responsible of purchasing.
- The Executive Chef reports to the General Manager and works with Food & Beverage Manager and Catering/Events Manager.
- This individual should value the formation of lasting professional relationships and become an active member of the Management team.
Primary Responsibilities: The Executive Chef runs the kitchen as he/she selects, administers, and develops all employees under his/her supervision consistent with Club philosophy and standards. The Executive Chef evaluates job performance of culinary staff; coaches and counsels to insure staff is on right track and rewards and disciplines staff in a fair and appropriate manner. The Chef will recommend compensation rates and/or increases for culinary staff. Provides training and professional development opportunities for all culinary staff on an ongoing basis. A person who can achieve a common goal of producing a quality product in an efficient manner.
Key Expectations and Goals:
- The Chef needs to be a “roll up the sleeves” hands-on Working Chef that has an omnipresence .
- This individual should have the same passion for Casual Dining and Banquets as he/she would have for Fine Dining.
- Ability to successfully oversee multiple outlets at high quality standards.
- Keen business management skills are important.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness, and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times. This includes daily site visits to all outlets.
- The Executive Chef evaluates job performance of culinary staff; coaches and counsels to insure staff is on track. Rewards and disciplines staff in a fair and appropriate manner.
- Interacts enthusiastically with, and is visible to, the membership.
- The Chef authors a regular newsletter article, web blog and offers cooking classes.
Summary: The Club prefers a (CEC) certified Executive Chef; a graduate from a recognized Culinary School a plus. The successful candidate must demonstrate values, conduct, and integrity consistent with the caring philosophy in place. The candidate must approach the position with humility and care.
With this appointment management desires to improve plate presentations and consistency throughout property from extreme fine-dining to every day casual and execution of banquets.
The Club offers a competitive compensation plan including a generous base salary based on experience and skill , ACF dues and Convention, dining allowance, dental, health & life insurance, 401k and other standard perks. Interested individuals should send resumes, a well-conceived cover letter, and supporting information (A Personal Portfolio is encouraged) in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your information.