Executive Head Baker opportunity with Rossi & Sons Rosticceria/Alimentari, a highly desirable position for a true artisan baker. Sporting over four decades of tradition enriching the lives of the Hudson Valley community, this is an excellent opportunity to lead Rossi’s new baking location.
Rossi’s is a family-owned and operated business for more than 40 years. They work to deliver the comforts and love of Sunday dinner while respecting the artisanal craft of Italian specialties. The food is passion-driven, with all the details planned and prepared in-house. From the bread to the pasta, pesto, and even the mozzarella, they are dedicated to creating a meal you cannot wait to taste again!
The baking facilities will be within the exciting new Eastdale location. Eastdale is a live-work-dine-shop-play experience which includes over 400 luxury rental apartments and 120,000 square feet of restaurant, retail and medical space and the new Rossi’s location. Eastdale is its own unique Village whose planning and design sets a new standard for mixed-use living in the Hudson Valley, NY. Rossi’s will be a featured building including over 6,000 square foot of baking kitchens and retail space.
The Executive Head Baker will be hands-on and along with the team, will execute daily bread production and will have an opportunity to contribute to the development of a growing operation. This individual must be passionate about bread, trained in classic bread techniques, yet current in the latest baking trends, products, technology, and practices. He/she will have a strong belief of a “grain to bread” vision while respectful of traditions. Administrative responsibilities of ordering, scheduling, maintaining inventory, supervising, and training are all within the job scope.
The Executive Head Baker is a critical team member and must be a passion driven leader with a deep commitment to baking a high volume of breads including slow fermented focaccia, a selection of high hydration, levain artisan breads influenced by Italian and European style breads, a selection of laminated dough items, and a small selection of pastry items.
He/she will be an integral part of the overall success of the operation and will share in the vision of the baking program.
This position requires an artisan craftsman, capable of leading the department with a positive, mentoring influence, leveraging creativity and a supportive manner, and advancing the team for long-term success.
Building community and celebrating collaboration are key traits to this position.
- Collaborate with the team on formula development.
- Create/Propose staffing and scheduling needs. Lead the hiring and training of said team.
- Develop/establish product specifications and vendor/purveyor relations.
- Establish a baking timeline.
- Responsible for all bakery production.
- A hands-on team player and mentor who leads by example, developing a cohesive and talented team.
- A skilled communicator, with a professional and positive demeanor and an approachable manner.
- A detail-oriented planner with strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Develop written recipes, standards, and techniques for baking preparation and presentation, always training staff assuring the consistency and high-quality of offerings.
- Must have the ability to walk and stand for long periods of time, lift 50+ pounds and have good manual dexterity.
Key Expectations and Goals:
- Hold and demonstrate a strong passion for baking and the art.
- Maintain a fierce drive to succeed and a positive “can-do” approach supported by a calm demeanor.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the craft, be goal-oriented, thrive on challenges, and promote forward-thinking approaches.
- Ensure the highest standards of sanitation, cleanliness, and safety are maintained throughout all baking areas and at all times. The candidate will be required to be ServeSafe or State Certified in Sanitation.
- Hire, train, motivate, and develop a high performing team. Serve as Coach and Mentor, lead by example always.
- Control food and labor costs and is adept at creating and managing a budget and executing/reporting to defined business standards.
- Demonstrate good judgement and display competency in organization, time management, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- As a member of the Executive Team, attend management meetings along with special event/banquet meetings which require special menus or other related needs.
- Forecasted annual food sales $4.5M+.
- The baking team will consist of 5-8 individuals.
- The Eastdale Rossi’s location is 6,200 square feet with the bakery on the lower level and retail operation on the main level. A third level has luxury apartment living space.
- Rossi’s maintains two (2) kitchens; the main kitchen will be in the new Eastdale location and a secondary kitchen is at the 45 S. Clover Street location.
- Rossi’s at Eastdale will be open seven (7) days per week with the hours of 7:00am – 7:00pm.
- The Executive Head Baker will report to the Director of Operations and Culinary Development and will work closely with the Owner.
- This is a newly created position and the Eastdale location is scheduled to open late Summer/early Fall. This position is available immediately.
A compensation package that will include a respectful base salary. Interested individuals should send resumes, and a well-conceived cover letter in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your information:
Work with DMA, a team of proven culinary professionals to help advance your career.