This is a special opportunity for a proven, professionally mature and well-rounded culinarian with experiences ideally forged in quality hotel with diverse culinary offerings.
“The Union League Club of New York maintains a very high caliber food service that is very diversified. In addition to a ‘Michelin starred’ ala carte operation the Club reaches out with numerous member events such as the Welcome Back Clambake, Tap Foundation Holiday Party, Kentucky Derby Celebration, The Lily Pulitzer party and others. Club’s former Executive Sous retired after 21 years and EC is looking for a partner to help advance Culinary.”
Located on the corner of 37th Street and Park Avenue, The Union League Club is home to a distinguished art collection, a library, sports and fitness facilities, fine dining and catering, conference rooms and a gallery of art. It remains a simple organization of a social nature, cherished by members and guests seeking a unique experience and camaraderie in New York.
Recent Survey of America City Clubs finds The Union League Club of New York City ranked #1 https://privateclubmarketing.com/11-most-exclusive-private-clubs-in-america/
Position Overview: The EC is looking for a proven Executive Sous Chef who has great flavor profile, ability to collaborate, able to work within a team and someone who can have a laugh. An individual who is well thought out, logical, mathematical with a very human aspect, exhibits professionalism and integrity and someone who is proactive and wants to change how club food is thought of
The Executive Sous Chef shall collaborate with the Executive Chef and be actively involved in daily production, purchasing, cost control, overseeing, assisting and supervising preparation, production, and service of all food served. There are three (3) a la Carte dining outlets and eleven (11) Private Party Rooms with seating from 4 to 275 guests. The Club also has sixty (60) overnight guest (hotel) rooms.
The club will hire a proven self-starter, ideally an ACF Certificated and mature to take command in the absence of the Executive Chef.
Primary Functions and Duties:
- Particular strengths and abilities to enhance private event production.
- Works in partnership with Executive Chef advancing standards, menu evolution, innovation and overall sanitation standards.
- Organized with experience in ordering, menu development, cost control, hiring processes as well as leading and developing a team.
- Assists/improves communication, provides leadership/direction to multi-cultural staff.
- Assists with staff training and development; ensure food consistency, as well as monitors loss controls.
- Inspects all kitchens throughout the day and assists as necessary where production demands and service needs dictate.
- Oversee production and service of food on a daily basis.
- Develop banquet menu items and consistency
- Help maintain food consistency in all areas.
- Suggest/Implement improvements where needed with the approval of EC.
- Work with the Purchasing Manager and Chef to learn the ordering/purchasing systems and all products.
- Annual food sales at $4M; total F&B Sales $7M
- The Food cost is 30% with a sales mix of 45% ala carte, 55% banquet
- The Executive Chef is supported by an Executive Sous Chef, two (2) Jr. Sous Chefs, a Pastry Chef, Purchasing Manager & Chief Steward.
- There are 25 culinary employees supported by a $1.6M Labor Budget.
- The Club is supported by 1,600 members whose average age is 50.
- There are (4) well-maintained kitchens The Main Kitchen, two (2) smaller ala carte kitchens, a butcher and pastry kitchen
- The Club operates eleven (11) months, close month of August. The majority of business occurs September – December and March – through the month of June.
The Club offers a compensation package including a competitive base salary commensurate with experience and skill, ACF dues, health & life insurance and 401k. Interested individuals should send resume, a well-conceived cover letter and supporting information. Please submit your Portfolio in strict confidence. Interested individuals should send a personal-portfolio, a well-conceived cover letter and supporting information, which will be held in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your professional information:
Interested? Work with DMA, a team of proven culinary professionals to help advance your career. Click Here to upload your professional information: