History: Founded in 1917, this premier private club is located in historic Ligonier, Pennsylvania approximately 50 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. The Club is gracefully nestled between the Chestnut Ridge and Laurel Mountain Valley ranges at the far west end of the Appalachian Mountains. The Club is situated on over 600 acres of land. Organized as an English gentlemen’s sports club, land conservatory and wildlife sanctuary the surrounding landscape is truly one of the most beautiful and serene parcels in the Eastern region of the United States.
Rolling Rock Club was originally 12,000 acres (4,900 ha) of land owned by Judge Thomas Mellon, who left it to his son Richard Beatty Mellon, brother of Andrew Mellon and onetime president of Mellon Bank. Richard Beatty Mellon turned Rolling Rock into a rural retreat for his friends and family to hunt, fish, and ride. From this it steadily developed into an establishment that, in addition to the usual country club necessities – golf, swimming and tennis – also boasted stocked trout streams, duck ponds, game birds and shooting ranges. The Club’s facilities and operating standards are synonymous with Quality.
Facilities: The impressive Clubhouse features traditionally appointed formal dining rooms, lounges and terraces. Fashioned as a grand English country manor, the 90,000 square feet clubhouse has twenty-nine (29) guest rooms and two (2) guesthouse cottages. Fresh floral arrangements are abundant and fashioned by in-house florists adding to the Club’s overall warmth. Supported by an impressive membership of 2,500 with an average age of 63. Approximately 40% of the membership reside within the Pittsburgh/Ligonier community and use the Club steadily the month of May through the month of November. Membership is supportive of its first-class facilities; services, tenured-staff and qualified management team. The Club’s overall ambiance, personalized services and commitment to excellence are equal to other fine traditional destination properties.
The Position: Rolling Rock Club is looking for a Chef who will continue to honor its well-established culinary traditions coupled with an eye on appropriately evolving the culinary program over time. He/she will work towards developing a solid culinary team that is creative, passionate and takes pride in what is produced. The Club will require a Chef who instills standards into the kitchen operation, which will include a strong commitment to training programs and mentorship that ultimately result in high service standards that are positively reflected in the day-to-day member experience. The Chef will have a mastery of culinary traning and theory and inspire others to reach their full professional potential. All of plate presentations and displays are of high quality and must reveal an understated elegance. The Chef will continue to offer healthy alternatives and a wide variety on the menus. Rolling Rock Club has earned an enviable standing in the club industry. The members take great pride in their club’s Culinary Program; it’s history, it’s enjoyable present, and the promise of tomorrow.
- ACF Certification and/or college degree in culinary arts is preferred.
- An engaging personality – one that both staff and membership can relate to and rally around.
- Club and/or high-end Resort experience.
- A foundation of excellent culinary and leadership skills.
- The ability to handle multiple priorities and delegate assignments to the appropriate individuals based on their skills, roles, and interests.
- Excellent written and verbal skills for effective communication, the ability to facilitate small group presentations, and the skills to be an effective listener are all sought after skills
- Competent in organizational, time management skills.
- The ability to demonstrate good judgment, problem solving, and decision-making skills. The chef is responsible for leading the product knowledge training for all positions. The chef has a leading role in the vision and marketing of the culinary operation.
Key Expectations and Goals:
- Possesses strong managment skills, is unquestionably personable and able to manage using inspirational leadership.
- The ability to organize and develop systems to ensure a smooth food service operation.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness, and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times. This includes site visits to all outlets.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Works closely with the Front of the House management team and staff to ensure a consistently excellent day-to-day member experience.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
- Develops recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure a consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control over all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
- Attends food and beverage and management meetings.
- Interacts enthusiastically with, and is visible to, the membership and the club staff. Provide the same level of service regardless of the number of members dining on any given night.
- Prudent budgeting and planning; Monitoring actual financial results and the ability to take corrective action as necessary to help ensure that financial goals are met.
- Is a proven and highly resourceful recruiting of aspiring culinart talent and equalable successful retaining key personnel.
The successful candidate must be compatible with the nature of the Club. He or she must demonstrate values, conduct, and integrity consistent with the caring philosophy in place. The candidate must approach the position with humility and care for “others above self.” This individual should value the formation of lasting professional relationships and become an active member of the Management team.
The chef is responsible to maintain a reasonable cost of goods while using only the finest of ingredients. Of equal importance, firsthand knowledge of purchasing standards and the ability to work with local producers (“Farm to Table”) is important. The club’s core culinary staff is experienced and willing to learn. It is expected that the Chef be present during all busy meal periods and to direct daily production assuring quality, freshness and creativity. Additionally, it is expected that the chef have a professional demeanor matching today’s culinary standards. This is a working position requiring a hands-on approach towards mentoring staff, fortifying their skills/efficiencies, then further elevating variety and presentations.
- The Main Kitchen was completely renovated in 2012. The Main and Terrace Dining Rooms were renovated in 2015.
- Total annual food sales at $1,600,000; The desired Food cost is 38 to 40% with a sales mix of 47% a la carte and 53% banquet.
- Total full-time kitchen employees is 28 supported by a $942,000 labor budget. A culinary/warewashing team of 9.
- The Club supports two (2) kitchens and two (2) dining outlets and does some off-site catering.
- The Club serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily and is open 11 months of the year seven (7) days per week. The Club is closed the month of March.
- The Clubhouse is approximately 90,000 square feet serving Banquets up to 300 guests. The Club limits Wedding Receptions to four or five annually.
- The Chef is supported by a purchasing manager and four (4) sous chefs.
- The Executive Chef supervises the Executive Sous Chef, banquet, and all other kitchen and snack bar staff, either directly or indirectly.
- Works closely with the General Manager, the Club Manager and the management staff including but not limited to the Assistant Clubhouse Manager, Member Services Director, Chief Engineer, Floral Manager, Service Training Director and Sommelier.
- Must be a team player who leads by example.
Summary: The General Manager has been with the club for 15 years and the Club Manager for 10 years. The Executive Chef will report to the Club Manager. Ideally the Chef should be someone who is comfortable working in a rural setting. The ideal candidate will possess a true passion for professional cooking and have a proven and stable record of culinary excellence at recognized properties.
The Club offers a competitive compensation plan including a base salary, holiday bonus, continuing education, 401k, and other standard perks and benefits for this executive position. Interested individuals should send resumes, a well-conceived cover letter, and supporting information (A Personal Portfolio is encouraged) in strict confidence. Click Here to upload your information.